Sunday, August 28, 2005

Old Colony Service


We (most of us oversee teachers and the pastor from the Church here) went to Shipyard this morning. We had to get up just after 5am so we could be there when it started. It was really amazing to see all the horses and buggies all tied to posts in the Church parking lot. The ladies went to the south side and we went to the east side and stood at the door till someone invited us in. Then we took our seat on the wooden (no back) chairs. Everyone was dressed in coveralls with long-sleeve blue or dark shirts. All the straw hats were hung on nails about the pews (for the guys, the women kept their headcovering on).

We sang three songs out of an old high-german hymnal, each song was about half a page long and lasted 15 minutes. The singing was more in the form of chanting each word taking 5 seconds with a pause for the commas, etc where the song leader did a short solo. It was kind of neat in that it set an atmosphere of unity and consistency over the last 350 years. As the song continued to go on shall the faith through the generations (at least that was my reflection).

I could not understand any of the words in the song or sermon (both in high german) and unfortunately most of the people could not either (since they speak low-german) so I tried to pray for the church. Praying mostly that God would show me what to pray and praying that God would help the people to understand the words they are singing and the Word of God. The insight I had was, "You have to understand in order to serve", I mean understand these people until I can think from their perspective even if I do not agree with it.

When the sermon was over we sang the third song and then everyone immediately left. Two men stopped to talk to us (in English) outside and the preachers passed by and I made sure I shook their hand and thanked them with the little german I knew (they understood danke-shein)

From here we went to the contemperary EMMC church (planted by the one in Blue Creek). We spent a lot of time talking with the brothers there about their journey out of the old colony and how they were asked to leave for conducting Bible studies in their houses or having rubber on their tires. Surprisingly they seemed very loving to those who had ostrasized and forced them out. Instead of being bitter I sensed they were genuinly loving and praying for those in the old colony still.

This contemperary church sang some songs in English like "Jesus loves me" and some hymns in high german (all this high german is because low german was not written - at least not the Bible and hymnal till recently). Our pastor from Blue Creek was preaching on Habbakuk and that was in English.

Following this we had lunch at their pastors place and had a wonderful time of fellowship.

Please continue to pray for these two churches. One of the struggles for the old colony is they do not understand the words they sing and hear even when they are clearly the gospel so they are left only with a set of rules to obey or to be excommunicated. The new Church needs much prayer because they have been excommunicated from their family and friends so they cannot shop or visit and it is very hard to make a living and very lonely. For now there is only a handful of them but a huge number are just waiting till the time is right to make the switch. It is as if a revival looms on the horizon, may God breathe life anew!

2 comments:

silvercrx said...

Chris & Cory, thank you so much for keeping us up to date on what you are doing out there. I check your blog every once in a while, and enjoy reading about your adventures. Your pic is still up on my fridge and I think about you often.

Anonymous said...

Hello Chris and Cory, it's Britta! I see that your blog entries are almost a year old - are you still there? I spent 3 months in Blue Creek once and loved it.
I just moved back to Caronport to do my deputation from here. God decided to make me into a missionary as well (certainly not my idea, definitely His!!)