Sunday, August 21, 2005

How to Overcome SPAM!

Several people have been asking me how to overcome SPAM. With over 80 emails a day making it through my filter on YAHOO mail I figure I have some experience with it. Here are some of the lessons I have learnt (feel free to add your own tips below)

Here is my basic theory: "The primary reason why people get spam is because they gave away their email address to an untrustworthy source." In other words, spam is really the fault of the user (or his/her friends) and not the email provider. I have tested this theory by creating unused accounts and it seems to be true (except for a few small cases where spammers guess my email address because it is too simple like info@domain.com)

The problem is that if I never give my email address away it is completely useless to have an email address.

Here is my solution: Get 2 email addresses!

Primary email address: This is your email that you want to keep for life. Only give this away to your closest friends and family and those that have proved to you that you can trust them. As soon as enter this address on a web page or give it to one of those friends who send out one of those chain letters or mass mailers with everyones name in the TO or CC you have might as well kiss that address good-bye.

Secondary email address: Sign up for one of those free address at hotmail.com, yahoo.com or gmail.com. In fact I highly recommend gmail.com.

Use this secondary email address to book all your flights online, buy stuff online, sign-up for newsletters and give it to new friends. If that friend or organization proves reliable either let them know you have changed your email (give them your primary one) or if you are not sure yet set up a rule to forward email from that person to your primary.

Once this address becomes too full of spam then create up a new account. With your old account set up an auto-responder that says something like. "I am no longer using this account because of too much SPAM. Please try my new address at 'mynew dot name at-sign gmail dot com.'" (Of course you don't want to put your new email address as 'mynew.name@gmail.com' because all the spammers will get your auto-responder and add that address also to their records).

No comments: