Sunday, August 21, 2005

Listening to God's Voice all around me

It finally dawned on me, I should be sharing some of the amazing things God has been teaching me in class and what I am learning along with the students.

Well in Bible 11/12 class we are studing Genesis but the course begins with "The Bible" (which is a good place to start when you are talking about first things first). This week we learnt that God has two books - natural revelation (Creation) and special revelation (The Bible). In class I pointed to a large tree and asked the students what they can learn about God from that tree. I quoted A.W. Tozer who said to C.S.Lewis "Beyond this great oak with it's roots reaching deep into the earth and his arms stretched high into the heavens" (rough paraphrase) Likewse we too need to be rooted in God's Word and reaching up to God to pour into us.

I said, "Look at the sky, what do we learn there?" That it changes, it is vast, it is big and must have had a big vast God who loves rythme and beauty.

So I had all the students sit carefully in their chairs and take notice of what was around them and let God speak to them through it. For me, it was the breeze which blew through the door and past me in the hot morning air. Like that breeze I need the refreshing wind of the Spirit to keep me anew each day.

In the end my challenge to the students (and to myself) was this: Pay attention, God is all around wanting to speak to us.

No comments: