Thursday, August 11, 2005

I Know What I am Doing ... I Think!!

Lots of people have asked me, "So Chris, what are you going to be doing in Belize?" This has been hard to answer so far because the community had not decided on what they would want me to do. At first I applied to teach in the school but then the youth pastor resigned so they talked about using my gifts in that area.

I had a meeting with some of the school board yesterday and they shared how scheduling is really tight right now. We are still missing a grade 8 teacher and we don't have another teacher to teach all the electives I would be missing by working part-time. In contrast (and to my joy) the youth ministry is doing really well at this time with their volunteer leaders. It seemed best for all of us that I should teach full-time and then we will re-evalutate in January based on how the school and youth ministry are doing. So here is what I am doing.

8:00 - teach Bible Doctrines to a grade 9/10 split class
8:50 - teach Genesis to a grade 11/12 split class
9:40 - Recess
9:55 - Study Hall for grade 9's
10:45 - Computer Applications for grade 12 students
11:30 - lunch
12:30 - (another teacher will teach the Spanish and Automotive electives)
1:20 - Keyboarding 9/10 (Typing and Word-processing skills)
2:15 - Computer Applications for grade 11 students on Mon,Wed, Fri and Physical Education on Tues, and Thursday (so glad it is last period)
3:00 - Mark student work and prep for next day.

Cory is teaching grade 7 all subjects

Sunday night once a month is youth and we are volunteering to help.
Wednesday night is youth Bible Study every week
Friday night is games night with all the teacher and college and careers

We are also volunteering with the Church to help the youth leaders and at times the Church if they need some leadership develpment based on Cory's and mine's masters degree (although I still have 9 credits to go)

3 comments:

lornewel said...

Chris and Cory:

I met with Aldon and Betty (Cory's parents)this week and was glad to have them forward your blog address to me. From the first time I met you two at an early morning prayer meeting, I have been impressed by your hearts for God. I sense He has a great calling on your lives and that you are seeking to be obedient to Him.

As I leader in your home church at Northview, I affirm you and am praying for you.

Chris Priebe said...

Thank-you so much for your encouragement. We really appreciate your
prayers. Right now if you could pray about Tuesday morning which is
the first day of classes. That my wife and I would start well and
also that the school will find a grade 8 teacher.

Thanks

Chris Priebe said...

I just met again with the Pulpit Committee and they want me to help serve in a role like a "part-time interim youth pastor" with the primary role to train leaders. This won't start for a few months so I have some time to get adjusted first.