Thursday, September 01, 2005

Geckos in the Computer!


Since I have moved to Belize I have had about 6 requests to, "Please come over and fix my computer". I don't mind doing that but my passion is really to pass on what I have learnt to others. So I hosted a "Computer Repair Clinic" after school for my students where anyone could bring their sick computer and the students learn to fix it.

I invited my new friend, "Abe Dyck" who for many years has been fixing the computers in town but is now far too busy. So I let him take the show this week and he did great! He talked about hardware (I am more into software so I really learnt a lot). The biggest problems here have to do with the heat, humidity and dust. Most often all a computer needs is a good cleaning. We fixed two machines just by cleaning them out (including taking the video card and memory out and brushing off the cobwebs, dust and sometimes eggs from geckos or others). We learnt that a long beeeeep sound followed by a pause then another long beep means the memory is not working so take it out and clean it.

3 Other computers had fan problems. In two cases the fan was just burnt out. In the heat of Belize that means the CPU is overheating and when it does that it just stops until it cools down which means the computer just hangs and waits for the CPU to come back on. So we need to find new ones of those.

One fan we looked at was not spinning at all. It was on a computer nicknamed "Methusala" because it is so old (not to mention rusted because of all the humidity). After closer examination there was a gecko (small lizard in it). I wrote my friends who are in charge of technology at the leading Christian universities in North America about this one and the best suggestion was to put up a poster outside the computer advertising positions available as a stunt-double for the "Geico Gecko". Or just to put a screen over it.

Once again I left the pictures at school so I'll have to post the photo later.

1 comment:

Daquell said...

I thought computers were supposed to have bugs.

Actually, I was very happy to read your post; it proves that techs can enter the ministry succesfully.

God bless you!