Saturday, March 24, 2007

School and Tutoring

Most of my days here in Belize are very busy between volunteering at the school, then after school, travelling from one house to another to fit in 2-3 or more hours of tutoring.

I arrive at school at 8:40, and split my three hours there between the kindergartens, the grade 1 class and the grade 2 class. I usually pull the kids out of class and work one-on-one (in the storage room -- only room available) with them in a particular area of study that they are having trouble with. Usually reading or spelling.



Kenny's reading has improved dramatically over the last few months.

In the afternoon, I travel from one home to another tutoring students. Sometimes we do homework, but mostly I like to review important concepts like times tables, do some practice reading, and spelling. I have been trying to learn about different styles using those in my tutoring and volunteering.
For example, I ask the student to make the numbers 3, 6, 9, 12...and so on from the 3 times tables, out of play doe. I may then ask him questions such as "which number comes between 12 and 18?" or "Which number comes after 33?". This for of questioning also him to spend extra time looking at the sequencing. We then say the numbers forwards and backwards. Everytime we finish a sequence, we take one number away. Then we say them forwards and backwards again. In the end, he will say them about 12 times in that short period of time (forwards and backwards), the last time without having any of the numbers in front of him. Using the play doe seems to help him as he gets to spend extra time, in a creative fashion, working with the numbers -- rather than just writing them out. If you can count by 3s, you can do the 3 times tables. Next week: the four times tables.

(See the play doe in the picture?)

I also lead chapel this last week. My puppet Marty and I were playing "catch" in a museum where this crazy statue holding a banana was on display. It seems that the banana was already but even though it had not been peeled. Hard to believe. We equated it to a Bible story in which Doubting Thomas would not believe that Jesus had risen from the dead unless he saw it with his own eyes. At the end of the show, you find out that the statue (who comes to life) is very hungry and eats the banana. Low an behold!! The banana was indeed already cut even before he peeled it! In fact, the banana pieces fell all over the place. And later another teacher stepped on it!

The school science fair happened a week or so ago. I took special pleasure in asking the kids I work with to show me their projects. Some unique and challenging projects were presented, including Mikaylas discovery how friction effects the speed of a car.

Wesley's demonstration of a water wheel.


And these boys showed how an egg will be sucked into a bottle when the fire is looking for oxygen.
I asked this student's mom if I could teach him over Christmas holidays since 2-3 weeks off was such a long time, especially when we had just started a new reading program. The first time he came over was hard for him (after all, he is on holidays). However, after that first time, he has loved coming over. He now asks his mom, of his own volition, if he can come. And his mom looks at me and says, "what do you have at your house that he likes?" A lamb! Yes, a little bribery seems to work wonders. He comes and reads and then gets to feed the lamb. Now what will I do that Lily the Lamb has been weaned?


Another student, I asked her mom the same question, if I could teach her daughter over Christmas. As this German mother saw me working with her daughter, she asked it I would teacher her too! So now, I also spend about 2-3 hours a week with the mom, helping her gain better reading skills, and at the same time explaining what these English words mean. As an added bonus I have been teaching her how to help her children with their school work. The children do not get much homework at these young grade levels and yet there are certain areas they may be struggling in. I have been showing her how she can do things at home to help. I never fully realized before how much the parents need even this type of training, especially when the parents are all German, and their kids are attending an all English school. For this parent, she is also taking "grade 1" in the evenings at the home of one of the community members. For her, then, she has the advantage of knowing what the special sounds are, how to mark the vowels and so for. Many parents, even parents who speak English, would not know these things since they are specific to phonics and Abeka curriculum.


The game we are playing here is kind of like Uno except with words and sounds. You have to match the vowel. Hot -- Sock -- lots...etc. And use a "Swap" card to switch vowels. I found this resource in England and ordered it off the web. They also have a software version to which you can add your own words. I have used it before in learning spelling words.

3 comments:

lornewel said...

Very interesting, Cory, how realtionship, serving and learning go together. God bless you.

Faye said...

Hey Cory & Chris,
How wonderful to see the pics as you explain what your life is like during the week. You are both so busy. We continue to pray for you both.
Will you be back in Abby for Chrissy & Jim's wedding?
Love, Faye & George

KPetrie said...

I know you just like to use Play Doh as a teaching tool because YOU like to play with it, right??? Hahaha! Sounds like you really love your job, and you're helping alot of people! Awesome!