Sunday, May 28, 2006

Graduation

Last night was graduation. We had 5 grads this year and it was a joy to see them finish and walk the isle. Three are off to Canadian schools and two are staying here (one will even be a teacher next year).

One of my joys was to have some of the students (from all grades) come up to me and thank-me for being their teacher. Some almost had tears in their eyes. This is especially significant since I have had a somewhat challenging year and have often wondered if I was doing any good. I thought it was going to be many more years before they came to appreciate what I had done but last night one of the girls said, "I want to thank-you for teaching us this year. I know I have not always appreciated you the way I should..." Another student came up to me that night as well. He did not finish very well this year. On the last day he wrote on the wall "I hate school" and then took off. When I called him on his cell he told me that he wasn't coming back and was quitting. Last night after seeing the grads make it I saw him talking to the school board and then he came up to my truck as we were pulling out and said, "I know I haven't been that easy on you this year. I just wanted to thank-you and let you know that I will be going back next year." It's going to be another three years for that guy and he knows it but I am so glad he is going to try.

As we wrap up here I often think what kind of mark I would give myself. Honestly, I am not sure. I know I have tried hard and we God has used me to do so amazing things (including getting the students to lead chapels and memorize whole chapters of the Bible) but I also know I would do some things differently (like be more strict in the beginning and stuck to my guns more when the students opposed me and telling the students I love them more often). In the end I am glad God is the one who gives me my mark. I have had to learn this year to just be faithful and not to worry what my students or others think. I have been working on the discipline of finishing well. I have also learnt a very valuable lesson that I do not have to shine in every ministry but sometimes I just need to sludge through it and trust that God will do something with it in the end.

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

Cory,
It's Rebekah!! Any chance you will be out AB way while you are home??! We had our first child in November and she is growing fast. Her name is Rachel Elinor and we are enjoying her very much. I don't have your email so this was the next best way to contact you. Let me know if you get this and how we can contact you while you are in Canada