Sunday, April 30, 2006

Unexpected Ministry


Last Sunday Cory and I travelled to the neighboring village called San Philepe to find a Church. We drove around in our old pickup until we found a group sitting around a tree outside a Church. We called out the window, "Are you guys a Church"

"Yes", they replied.

"English or Spanish?".

"Spanish" they called back. So we waved goodbye and kept up our search. The problem was we could not find anything that was open. So we turned the truck around and went back to our little circle under the tree.

When we got there they invited us to join them. As soon as we sat down they asked us to share. "I thought this was Spanish?"

"Yes, but we also speak English too"

"What would you like me to share on?" I asked.

"Teach us from Revelation chapter 10". So I flipped open my Bible and took a look. After a quick glance I knew I was not ready for this one. Oddly enough we happen to be studying Revelation in class right now and had just finished chapter 8. So instead I shared my testimony. What was neat is that at the end of it I said that every story has a beginning and an end and everything that is in the middle is understood in light of how the story began and how it will end. In just the same way the Bible starts in Genesis and works it's way through to Revelation. The history in between (including our lives) are the threads that weave this story together. So just as in my story God has a journey that he is taking me on that is part of His greater plan, so each of our lives (I explained to them) has a purpose and is part of that bigger picture.

Afterwards we met the pastor and were invited over to lunch by a very nice family. The pastor asked if we could come back and speak at the Church. At first I said not at this time because we are so busy with the closing of school but I really felt I needed to so I found him later that day and arranged to come in two weeks time.

This will be for Saturday night May 6th and the topic will be Evangelism. Interestingly enough, 25% of the town goes to an evangelical Church. It should be interesting...

Thanks again for all your prayers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is exciting to see God using you guys in such interesting ways. This is my prayer for you today ... Lord Jesus, I pray that you will give Chris the focus to prepare for this weekend's ministry in San Philepe. I pray that you will give him some uninterupted time so that he will be able to focus on Your Word ... yes Lord give him a word from your for our brothers and sisters in San Philepe for this Saturday when they minister there. Bless this our brothers and sisters there. Lord give them a burden to reach those that do not yet know you as Lord and Saviour. In Jesus name I pray, Amen.